THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER OPERATIONAL. PLEASE ENJOY WHAT IS HERE, AND DO LEAVE A COMMENT IF YOU WISH. NORTH CAROLINA'S NEW POET LAUREATE IS CATHY SMITH BOWERS. SHE WILL SOON HAVE HER OWN WEBSITE THROUGH THE NORTH CAROLINA ARTS COUNCIL SITE. I WILL BE SHIFTING MY ATTENTION TO HERE, WHERE I AM, (SEE SIDEBAR)USING IT TO DRAW ATTENTION TO WRITERS WHOSE WORK DESERVES ATTENTION. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT ME THERE.

For a video of the installation ceremony, please go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xAk6fOzaNE.

HERE, WHERE I AM HAS BEEN NAMED ONE OF THE 30 BEST POETRY BLOGS.

How a Poem Happens: http://www.howapoemhappens.blogspot.com/

Go to http://www.yourdailypoem.com/, managed with finesse by Jayne Jaudon Ferrer, who says, "Our intent is to make visitors to Your Daily Poem aware of the joy and diversity of poetry."

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Good Morning, Moon

Moon keeper
Bring me all your craters.
Keep away all the cold memories.
So I can be free of nightmares,
That haunt me at midnight. -AB--Sugar Loaf Elementary School
___________________________________________

One of our daughter's favorite books was GOODNIGHT, MOON. I can't begin to estimate the number of times I read it to her. I still love it. And the moon.
Two nights ago, my husband and I sat beside the woodstove and watched through our window the moon rise over the pines. By then it was a waning moon, looking like a big nibble had been taken out of it, but it was still bright and imagination-stirring. And it moved so quickly. Soon it had vanished from the window.

I like the poem above so much that I thought I'd write my own, as a way to connect with it and its author.

Moon Keeper,
my window
holding the rising moon,
till it escapes
floating over us
at midnight,
our bedroom alight
with its passing.
Moon Keeper,
Star-keeper,
the sky
where the Milky way
lives, rings
of Saturn
and the Andromeda
Galaxy, so much
out there I can't
begin to imagine
how much
the Sky Keeper
keeps.

Here's a weird photo I took while we were in Budapest, Hungary last month. I wanted a shot of the full moon, but the bridge where I was standing was constantly shaking from all the traffic, so the moon looks like it's streaking across the sky, along with all the other lights from the bridge. I guess you could say this photo is not much of a Moon Keeper!

2 comments:

Judy Roney said...

The Strength of My Resolve

Both feet planted
the game is done
this is me with weighted
stance and piercing eyes
I’ll be ready for the next blow
be waiting, all innocence gone
take your best shot and see.
Look me in the eyes, you’ll know
you can’t hurt me again. I’ll gather
strength from simple resolve and
hurt so deep it can’t be touched.
Go on, take your best shot.

Judy Roney

Kathryn Stripling Byer said...

Hi Judy, thanks for your poem! I'm glad you are following Nancy's blogsite and glad that you found mine.
Kay B.