THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER OPERATIONAL. PLEASE ENJOY WHAT IS HERE, AND DO LEAVE A COMMENT IF YOU WISH. NORTH CAROLINA'S NEW POET LAUREATE IS CATHY SMITH BOWERS. SHE WILL SOON HAVE HER OWN WEBSITE THROUGH THE NORTH CAROLINA ARTS COUNCIL SITE. I WILL BE SHIFTING MY ATTENTION TO HERE, WHERE I AM, (SEE SIDEBAR)USING IT TO DRAW ATTENTION TO WRITERS WHOSE WORK DESERVES ATTENTION. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT ME THERE.

For a video of the installation ceremony, please go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xAk6fOzaNE.

HERE, WHERE I AM HAS BEEN NAMED ONE OF THE 30 BEST POETRY BLOGS.

How a Poem Happens: http://www.howapoemhappens.blogspot.com/

Go to http://www.yourdailypoem.com/, managed with finesse by Jayne Jaudon Ferrer, who says, "Our intent is to make visitors to Your Daily Poem aware of the joy and diversity of poetry."

Saturday, March 21, 2009

ODE TO MARCH


(Fog rising from the valley beneath our house)

As we prepare to bid March farewell, it's fitting to offer a poem that brings a new perspective to the month. March comes in like lamb, goes out like a lion, or vice versa. How about March coming in a a great, wet thing? A big washrag of fog!

This poem is in response to my invitation posted a few days ago, on both my "Laureate's Lasso" and "Here, Where I Am" to write a poem sounding like "green." Mindy followed her own bent.

Ode to March

Oh you great, wet thing!
Vast as a mountain
Lithe and lean, carried by the wind.
How will you, with all your promises
Fulfill them?

Push out the green of bulbs, the buds, the birds!

For today, the very first
You’ve covered me in fog.
Made me a soggy thing of little worth

Mindy Evans


No comments: