THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER OPERATIONAL. PLEASE ENJOY WHAT IS HERE, AND DO LEAVE A COMMENT IF YOU WISH. NORTH CAROLINA'S NEW POET LAUREATE IS CATHY SMITH BOWERS. SHE WILL SOON HAVE HER OWN WEBSITE THROUGH THE NORTH CAROLINA ARTS COUNCIL SITE. I WILL BE SHIFTING MY ATTENTION TO HERE, WHERE I AM, (SEE SIDEBAR)USING IT TO DRAW ATTENTION TO WRITERS WHOSE WORK DESERVES ATTENTION. I INVITE YOU TO VISIT ME THERE.

For a video of the installation ceremony, please go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xAk6fOzaNE.

HERE, WHERE I AM HAS BEEN NAMED ONE OF THE 30 BEST POETRY BLOGS.

How a Poem Happens: http://www.howapoemhappens.blogspot.com/

Go to http://www.yourdailypoem.com/, managed with finesse by Jayne Jaudon Ferrer, who says, "Our intent is to make visitors to Your Daily Poem aware of the joy and diversity of poetry."

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Bimjhana Bishwokarma



Let me introduce Bimjhana Bishwokarma. If you have read my first post on 9/28--"On the Same Poem"--you will know that we met during the luncheon where I read "Mountain Time" and discussed it with the luncheon guests. Bimjhana was among them, and when it came her turn to have me sign my poem, she gave me one of hers and told me a bit about herself. I invited her to stay in touch, which she did. Here is a segment from the email giving some of her family history.



"My dad was a reknowned journalist, writer (esp. poet), and politician (the forefront leader against caste system) in Nepal. He passed away long time ago. I wish I had more time with him. Someone is writing a book on him, and I am getting to know him better than I ever had. i was barely 15 when I lost him. I have been asked to translate his work. Like I told you before, translation is really difficult job. I have lots of my father's books with me, but they are in Nepalese.

My mom is a social worker and journalist in Nepal. You can probably google her. Her name is Mithai Devi Bishwokarma. She visits me often, so next time she is here, I would make sure she meets you. My brother is also one of the top journalists in Nepal. He was working as a stringer in New york for a while and currently is back in Nepal, working as a senior media officer for United Nations. My sister is a graduate in English literature and writes short stories and teaches in high school. My brother-in-law is also a poet.

As for me, I used to write poetry since I was small. I first got published when I was 7 and had a poetry collection at 16. I write articles, memoirs, but mainly poems. i work as a scientist here at Wake Forest University - in regenerative medicine. I have not been actively writing currently. Thus, being there at your recitation was a true satiation for me. i am very very fortunate to have known you."

Here is the poem that Bimjhana handed to me.


Arcane Utopia Vs. Mundane World


Entwined in my own arcane imaginations
..I let my reality go wild on me.
Bit by bit... I live up my fake Utopia....
And in a jiffy, mundane world fails me!

This celestial feeling and this cul-de-sac
..I play blindfold with piety and guilt.
On every path I cross, there is a snare!
I cry out loud in the vicinity of entrapment,
Insanity laughs at me offering refuge.
I run...run....and run...
Away from ...?... don't know what ....!
After ...?... don't know what ...!!

And still it seems like I'm in a moratorium.
My destiny stands forth like a mirage,
And of course insanity lures me!
World... or .... Utopia?!?
My jurisdiction collapses.
...cold state of indecisiveness!


Bimjhana Bishwokarma


Copyright ©2008 BimjhanaBishwokarma

No comments: